Boss TweetsFollow Us
- Background performer 'extra'
- Can I drop in to the office?
- How do I get my pay cheques?
- Requirements for background performers and actors:
- Can I be registered with more than one talent agency?
- What should I include in my photo submissions?
- Background open casting calls
- Are there any registration fees?
- What is the standard commission rate and annual photo fee?
- Who is accepted as an actor/background?
- For information on children in film and television
- On set 'rules' and guidelines
Actors are ‘trained’ professionals. They go to school to learn how to act.back to top
Background performer 'extra'
Background performers ‘extras’ are untrained or trained people who act in the background area of a movie, tv show, etc.
Actors can be background performers but background performers cannot be actors.
Being a background performer ‘extra’ does NOT give you credits towards becoming an actor, it gives you experience on ‘set’ but it’s not the place to work towards becoming an actor. They are two separate entities.
If your desire is to be an actor you need to attend workshops, school, etc. at an accredited film/actor school and train.back to top
Can I drop in to the office?
ABSOLUTELY no drop in’s please! We are super busy trying to get you paid on time and get you booked for work and we highly recommend you call ahead of time to make an appointment.back to top
How do I get my pay cheques?
Pay cheques are available:
ONLY on FRIDAYS between 11:00 AM and 6:00 PM
If you cannot pick your cheque up you can have an appointed person (friend, relative, etc.) pick it up for you but you MUST CALL AHEAD to let us know as we WILL NOT RELEASE your pay cheque to anyone without your permission.
CASTBG’S payroll section will list when cheques are ready for pick-up or you can call the Boss payroll line: (604) 488-1444.
You are responsible for keeping track of your payments. Write down your hours, show names and dates.
Self addressed stamped envelopes can be mailed to us and you can phone us on Friday to put your cheque in the mail for you.back to top
Requirements for background performers and actors:
- Must legally be able to work in Canada
- Flexible schedule with at least three full days available in a Monday- Friday work week (background performers).
- Working home/cell phone with answering service.
- Internet access, e-mail address
- Willingness to travel in and around Vancouver
- Must not be registered with any other background agency
Can I be registered with more than one talent agency?
You can only be registered/represented by ONE talent agency at a time.back to top
Actors email or mail your photos and resumes to:
Boss Management Inc.
#1025 – 510 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1L8
Due to the high volume of material we receive, we are NOT ABLE TO RETURN any material sent to us so we ask that you please DO NOT send us any originals.back to top
What should I include in my photo submissions?
Actors: One head shot and current resume & cover letter with up to date contact information.
Background: One ¾ length body shot against a plain light background from the hips up looking straight into the camera & a cover letter with up to date contact information. Please bring your photos, etc. to one of our open casting calls.
Please ensure that your photos are current and look like you.
We WILL NOT accept photos with the following: hats, head scarves, bulky jackets, excessive amounts of make-up, inappropriate attire i.e. lingerie, nudes, group photos, out of focus shots, logos, brands, blurry, dark, webcam, photo-boothed, busy backgrounds, glasses, wigs, etc.back to top
Background open casting calls
All extras must attend an OPEN CASTING CALL prior to being considered at BOSS MANAGEMENT INC. These are held on a bi-weekly basis and are an hour long training/information session where we will be taking your photo, taking a application form from you and considering you as a possible candidate. Please check our ‘home’ page for the next open call.
What information do I need to fill out on the application form?
All information must be fully completed before submission. Incomplete forms WILL NOT be accepted. All applications MUST be accompanied by a current headshot, no exceptions.
I have submitted my photos and application now what?
Actors: We will forward your submission to our Principal Agent for review, if interested you will be contacted within 2 weeks via phone or email to schedule a follow up appointment. If we do not contact you within 2 weeks we are not interested.
Background: Once you have attended the open casting call, completed the forms, etc. we will contact you within 48 hours via email to either accept or decline you as a possible candidate. If you are accepted there are follow-up instructions included in the email. If you are not accepted we will recommend other agents in the city that you may wish to apply to.back to top
Are there any registration fees?
Boss Management Inc. works strictly on commission and there are no fees to register with us.back to top
What is the standard commission rate and annual photo fee?
Standard commission at a talent agency is 15% of earnings plus gst on the 15%. There is an industry, government regulated fee of $25 annual photo/administration fee for extras which is taken off your first pay cheque.back to top
Who is accepted as an actor/background?
Our roster includes every demographic. There are no age, race, physical abilities or gender limits and we welcome everyone to apply including families, couples, pets, physically challenged, etc. There is room for everyone in the industry so don’t be shy!back to top
For information on children in film and televisionback to top
On set 'rules' and guidelines
- ALWAYS be on time or EARLY!
- BOSS prides itself on professionalism. Being late is UNACEPTABLE and you will be dropped from BOSS’s roster. If for ANY REASON you are anticipating being late (you are lost, your car broke down, etc.) you must call BOSS immediately!
- ALWAYS arrive 15 MINUTES EARLY to set or 30 MINUTES EARLY if parking in crew park and shuttling to set.
- ALWAYS show up on set when you have committed for the day.
- Plan your route, parking, transit, daycare, etc. for the day in advance.
- You must ‘sign in’ and ‘sign out’ every shoot.
- Put ‘BOSS’ as your agency on all forms.
- Social Insurance Numbers & Working Permits must be presented at every shoot, do not wait to be asked for them, have them ready as well as a photocopy to attach to your pay voucher.
- Always have a copy of your pay voucher when you leave as proof of work complete with details of your days work.
- Proof of residency is required for some productions. Have photocopies of the following: previous years tax assessment, 3 pieces of ID (BCID, Passport, BCDL) plus 2 utility bills (Hydro, Shaw, Telus, etc.) and/or lease agreement showing your full name, address and date.
- Be pleasant, polite, professional and respectful at all times as you are representing BOSS MANAGEMENT INC.
- Leave all valuables at home.
- Avoid looking into the camera.
- Be quiet while the camera is rolling.
- Leave all recording devices, cameras, etc. at home.
- Be ‘camera ready’’. Women: hair and make-up. Men: shave and well groomed. Men and women should arrive in your 1st wardrobe option.
- Bring 3 wardrobe choices.
- Be prepared for all types of weather. Umbrella, warm coat, warm undergarmets, sun block, personal fan, etc.
- Smoke ONLY in designated areas and use ashtrays provided.
- Refrain from asking for autographs and pics of anyone.
- Respect the actors’ privacy and personal space.
- Stay put where instructed to between takes.
- Refrain from asking too many questions.
- Return all props and wardrobe at days end.
- Bring ‘quiet’ entertainment i.e. books, magazines, etc.
- Be understanding and helpful to all crew members.
- Report ALL illnesses and injuries immediately.
- Be available the whole day and evening. Please ensure you have adequate daycare, pet care, parking money, etc and do not book any other commitments for that evening as film days can run very long hours into the night.
- Have a good night’s sleep PRIOR to showing up on set so you are full of energy for your shoot, no snoozing..
- Personal information should be kept private and not put on any forms.
- Keep BOSS MANAGEMENT informed of your experiences on set.
HAVE FUN AND MEET NEW PEOPLE!back to top